Is your plant more than 20 years old? If so, you should consider upgrading or modernization in your facility goals. Retrofitting or replacing equipment can be an overwhelming idea. But the benefits of reduced downtime and minimal costly disruption of business operations make this an ideal opportunity.
Watson Energy can help you determine the best option for your facility. We bring years of experience with a wide range of major electrical equipment manufacturers. We have made repairs, completed retrofits, and facilitated replacements. We work with you to determine the best solution for your electrical system goals.
Repair, Retrofit, or Replace
When considering whether to repair, retrofit, or replace existing electrical equipment, there are several things to consider.
- What are your electrical equipment goals?
- What is the cost-effectiveness of each option?
- Are there any regulatory requirements or industry standards that come into consideration?
- Are there any safety concerns with the equipment?
- Which option will produce the best future reliability for the equipment and the electrical system?
- What is the downtime for the repair, retrofit, or replacement?
Often the first option considered, it can be the lower upfront cost. However, a repair can also be a temporary fix and require additional maintenance keeping the equipment up and running.
- Are spare parts available for the repair?
- What is the durability of the equipment after the repair?
- How long is the repair likely to last before needing to be repaired again?
The retrofit uses the preexisting equipment and adds newer technology resulting in a quality upgrade to the equipment. Retrofitting is a good middle ground between repair and replacement.
- Is the equipment eligible for a retrofit?
- Will a retrofit accomplish your electrical equipment goals?
- Will the durability of a retrofit be cost-effective?
When considering the replacement option, keep in mind that upgrading your equipment to newer technology can improve safety, reliability, and efficiency. Much more modern equipment often includes the ability to communicate with the cloud and have IoT capabilities. Replacement is typically the best long-range option and can give the best return on the investment.
- Is there electrical equipment with new technology that would help to achieve your electrical equipment goals?
- What is the return on your investment?
- Will the replacement decrease electrical system cost, improve safety, or in some other way, improve the running of the electrical system?