Virtual Design & Construction
Virtual Design & Construction (VDC) is building the entire project virtually (digitally) before being built in the real world. VDC utilizes Building Information Modeling, clash detection, and construction animation to render a 3D model of the project.
“In my opinion and experience, it would have taking an additional 20% of on-site labor hours to complete this project, with a very negative effect on the construction schedule.”
David Walker, Supervisor – Raleigh, NC
Benefits of Virtual Design and Construction
Rendering of 2D and 3D drawings
Total Station Robot - Take the field layout, convert to CAD and use the Trimble robot to locate points for hangers, turn-ups, etc.
Clash Detection/Coordination of trades - the coordination and Clash Detection of the MEP trades using 3D models.
Coordination and clash detection of MEP allows for the discovery and correction of issues before implementation.
RTS is used to pinpoint control points for field layout, reducing the error rate over string line field layout.
Components can be prefabricated, simplifying the on-site installation process, increasing overall quality.
Controlled factory environments allow for precision and predictability.
The use of services, accuracy, and quality decrease on-site errors, wasted material, and scheduling overages resulting in a lower project cost.
A 3D model of the facility is more accurate and simplifies the maintenance process.
- Planning - Supervisors/foremen plan conduit rack layouts, group circuits, and develop an install plan.
- BIM - The field layouts are modeled in 2D or 3D, depending on the project’s needs and availability of files.
- Coordinate - If required, the model is put through multi-trade coordination (HVAC, Fire Protection, Mechanical Pipe, etc.) and clash detection.
- Submit - Once modeled and coordinated; drawings will be produced with all pertinent information to install electrical systems.
- Prefabrication - A prefabrication detail package is reviewed and submitted. Components are prefabricated.
- Construction - The model, the RTS points, and the prefabricated components are used in the field to increase accuracy, efficiency, and productivity.
- Facility Maintenance - accurate 3D modeling supports long-term maintenance and service needs of each project.